Friday, June 6, 2008

OMG! Tomorrow's my first tri!

This is it. The rental mini-van is in the driveway. My bag is packed. Tomorrow is the big day.

I'm quite "aroused" as they say. I'm probably somewhere between "optimum arousal" and "overwhelmed". There are so many moving parts in a triathlon race, compared to a road race. I just know I'm going to blank out during the transition. As long as I don't forget my helmet in T1 and my number in T2, I'll be happy.

It was my daughter's birthday party today. I picked her and 3 friends up after their last exam and we drove up to Canada Wonderland, Toronto's answer to Six Flags. We tried quite a few roller coasters. They had a blast, I enjoyed myself and all that helped keep my mind off tomorrow's race. After, we went to a local restaurant for dinner. I ate too much at lunch and dinner, but I couldn't help myself. It's a sprint for Pete's sake.

I don't have much of a strategy, other than try to finish the swim in one piece, ride a decent bike and let loose on the 4k run at sub-4:30/km (7:15/mile). I did a brick yesterday where I rode about 20km and then ran a quick km around the block and that pace felt about right.


Now I'm going to triple check everything, put all my stuff by the door and watch some TV.

No comments: