Monday, August 4, 2008

Olympic or Sprint?

I'm trying to decide what race to enter next. This race could be my last tri of the season. My only possible race in August is the Cobourg triathlon.They have both the Sprint or the Olympic. In theory, I would like to do the Olympic distance but something doesn't quite agree. My previous Oly was a very though race. I don't want to be a drama queen or anything but mentally I went to a place where I had never been before. After the first 5km loop on the run, I basically felt like I had nothing left. I hate loops.

So I'm gun shy. I want to do the Olympic, but I think I'm afraid. It's the bike. I haven't ridden enough and I'm paying the price. The swim, that's a long term goal. Work in progress. You can't rush the swim technique. The bike is different, I just didn't do enough. With my first marathon coming, I can't afford to miss any run, so it's always the bike that suffers. Cycling is so time consuming. You need open road, which is hard to find in the city.

I've never done a real Sprint. I've done a short course and a long course but never a true Sprint. Not that I care that much.

So I want to do the Olympic, but I feel like I'm slow on the bike and I'm a bit afraid of the swim in lake Ontario if it's windy. I think I will eventually do it and sign up for the Olympic but I'm giving myself a few more days.

No comments: