Friday, April 17, 2009

That Time Again

Here we are again, the night before a race. This is supposed to be only a training run but seriously, give me a break. A 50+km run inches into epic territory. I expect to run around 6 hours and 30 minutes, possibly longer.

I'm a bit worried about my right Achilles. It can handle regular runs, but tomorrow is much longer, and it's all trails. Uphills tend to make it worse. We'll see.

I've been practicing running slowww. I intend no to get sucked into going out too fast. At the Seneca Creek Run, I imploded in the last third, probably because I started too fast. This time I'm starting slow, even if it means being way at the back. Promise.

I almost didn't tape my feet. I know for a fact that my feet will get soaked early in the race and last time that happened, the tape came loose in some spots. Still, I decided to tape.

At Seneca Creek, I swore I would never wear my GPS again during a race. Looking at the kms was almost unbearable towards the end, they changed so slowly. But I decided to use it to keep me honest during the first section. It's so tempting to go too fast. I need to run in the 7 min/km (11:15/mile) range and that's barely running. So I'm wearing the GPS.

That's it for tonite, I'll let you know how things go.

No comments: