Friday, July 4, 2008

Easy Ones Are Over

Run
About the same time I started my triathlon training, I changed my running program from Jack Daniel's Intermediate program to Matt Fitzgerald's "Brain Training" beginner's marathon program. I picked the beginner's program because 1) it's my first marathon and 2) it's hard to run more than 4 times a week and still swim and bike. My goal marathon is the Toronto Marathon on October 19th. I thought of doing the Scotia Marathon 3 weeks earlier, but my training is slipping a bit because of life-in-general so it will probably have to be the Toronto Marathon.

For the last 12 weeks, my running workouts have been relatively easy. I had increased the distances of the long runs to prepare for my 25k trail race, but the other workouts were fairly easy compared to Daniel's plan. We'll, no more. The marathon plan has now caught up with my fitness and I'm suffering. There will be no more easy workouts.

My plan says I should be racing a 5k race this weekend. I found one but I'm a bit weary of doing it, because I have my "friendly" triathlon coming up in 2 weeks, which is an A race. I'm racing 3 of my childhood friends back in my home town of Ville Saguenay in Quebec. Would it be prudent to unleash so close to an A race? Surely, a 5k race would be ok? Hmmm.

Bike
I'm not cycling as much as I should. I'm sick of the bike path and roads are too busy so I tend to skip the cycling workouts or keep them too short. I'm not sure what to do about it. I should try to go to the TTC (Toronto Triathlon Club) group ride Saturday morning. I have family obligations that make that difficult though. Arrggghh!

Swim
I bought a wetsuit this week! I tried to go for a swim in lake Ontario on Tuesday but the water was so cold that my hands couldn't take it. It must have been 5C. I swam about 25 meters and gave up. Everything covered by the wetsuit felt great though!

That's it for now. Out.

No comments: