Friday, October 17, 2008

Last Workout ... Check!

I have done everything that I could.

I have folllowed a training program that I believe in. I have done almost every single workout prescribed in it.

I'm physically in the best shape of my life. I can fucking run forever. I have minor aches and pains, but that is to be expected. In the last few weeks, I've been dreading every workout, not because they were hard, but because I was afraid this would be THE ONE. The one where you snap, break or tear something that cannot be fixed in time for the race. I almost didn't race the Scotia Half-Marathon because of that.

I believe that one reason I didn't get hurt is that I followed a low volume running plan, intermixed with swim and bike. The total training volume was fairly high but the running volume was reasonable, for someone of my advanced age (I'm 44). I've only been running for a bit over a year and I don't think I could have adapted to much more than what I did. 

The only question left open is: was that enough to carry me through a marathon? That question, my friends, will be answered on Sunday!

No comments: