Friday, June 26, 2009

The Best Laid Plans...

Here is a simple fact: I don't want to do Ironman 70.3 Muskoka. I want to run the 50 miler at Haliburton instead. There's a 100 miler there as well but I'm not "feeling" that distance yet. Haliburton is on September 12 and Muskoka on the 13th. I don't think it's doable. The money is spent no matter what. Haliburton is 65 bucks and I'm pretty sure that lodging is much cheaper there so I don't think that changing my mind would cost actual money. So much for registering early. I just can't seem to get into the triathlon groove. I'm going to do the minimum for triathlon Saguenay and then it's RUNNING baby!

Crazy Stuff

I'm looking at maybe signing up for the K-Rock Ultra next Winter. That race is part of the Rock and Ice Ultra, which offers 3 separate races: the Cold Foot Classic is a 50km one-day race; the K-Rock Ultra is a 3-day, 3-stage, 135km race; the DIamond Ultra is a 6 day, 6 stages 225km race. I exchanged emails with a trainer who raced up there a few times and he feels this is something I should be able to do. I am so stoked about this! My wife thinks this is the stupidest idea I've ever had, but she's ok with it, although I have a feeling this is going to cost me.

Injury Update

My right foot is slowly coming back, I think. Running the Niagara Ultra didn't make it worse. I've been running short runs, about 4 miles, twice/week in my Vibram Five Fingers. I've also been walking in them quite a bit. All this is done in the hopes of slowly strengthening my feet.

Training

It's difficult to train without a goal. This is another reason I need to switch to Haliburton: I didn't give a shit about Muskoka. Knowing I have another 50 miler coming gives me an exciting goal I can look forward to.

My volume is still pretty low, in the 50 to 75km per week. I'm going to start ramping up again and try to maintain it between 65 and 100km. The next race on the OUS schecule is the Creemore Vertical Challenge, another 50km race, on July 4th, which is basically a week from now. I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it. My legs came back really fast from Niagara and I'm feeling good. I need the hill workout!

No comments: